Monday, March 26, 2007

The Blog Assignment

What Is Required?

At least 2 weekly entries
Every week you are to create at least 2 entries in your Media Blog. The entries must relate to media in some way, perhaps by voice your opinion about some kind of issue or controversy.

At least 4 weekly comments on other blogs
Every week you need to check out some of the blogs in the class and comment on different postings. You should have at least 4 comments a week, but quality is more important than quantity, so be sure to comment on issues that you are truly interested in.

Check in on my blog
Think of my blog as the class blog. I will be regularly contributing to my blog and perhaps posting points of interest about blogs in the class. Occasionally, I will have assignments posted on my blog that I feel are relevant to our study.

How Will This Be Marked?

The rubric will be coming, but basically, this will be a significant portion of your final mark since you will be working on it for the rest of the semester. There will be periodic due dates so that I can give you a progress mark on your blog. I will give you at least a week’s notice before any marking dates. You will be marked on your thoughtfulness, your mastery of the medium, your comments, your creativity.


What Should My Entries Be About?

Here are some of the types of entries that I will be looking for. You are not restricted to these categories, but this might help you if you have blogger’s block.

1. Pop Culture
In this category you will observe something new or strange about pop culture. This could be a new trend, a t.v. show, a movie, etc. You should explain what it is and why it is significant.

2. Question?
This should be something you have noticed and wondered about. Anything that puzzles you, perplexes you, something you find strange. You should have lots of questions … and perhaps no real answers.

3. I’m Outraged!
This should be something that you have noticed in the media that you do not agree with, you find offensive, insulting, etc. You should explain WHY you are so outraged. If it is possible, explain what you are going to do about it, and most importantly, RANT!

4. How Interesting….
This is a free for all category where you record things that you have found interesting. It may overlap a bit with the pop culture category, which is fine.

5. Advertising
Anything new or different in the world of advertising, an ad that you thought was interesting or controversial in some way, new trends, etc.

6. Hey! That’s a Subversion!
Hopefully we have talked about subversion enough in class that you have started to recognize it in your own travels. Look for something that seems to be different from what is expected … I will post some examples on my blog.

No comments: