Saturday, March 10, 2007

I'm Outraged! - Mobile Billboards??!??


Last summer, I was visiting a friend in Montreal. We were sitting on a patio in the gorgeous downtown area, when all of the sudden a billboard drove by for Heineken beer. Now, I'm NOT talking about a truck that happened to have some advertising on the side of it, I'm talking about a thin billboard that was being pulled around town, for the sole purpose of advertising.

The billboard was even thinner than the one you see in this picture, which looks like it could be possible to put something inside the truck. I have to admit, I was OUTRAGED! In this day and age, where the polar icecaps are being melted by the CO2 we are emitting at a mad pace, how can any company hire people just to DRIVE around all day? We are in an environmental crisis, yet companies like HEINEKEN are being socially irresponsible enough to contribute so profoundly to this huge problem.

So what did I do? I ranted a lot, and when I got home, I checked out Heineken's website, which had a lot of babble in it about how much they cared for the environment. I decided to email the head of public relations, and tell him that I was upset. He emailed me back ... and unfortunately I didn't keep the email, but it was basically "oh, yes, we will look into this matter... blah.. blah."

Perhaps encouraging, I tried to find a picture online of a Heinekin mobile billboard and couldn't, so maybe they stopped. Also, I found a petition from Toronto demanding that mobile billboards be illegal and a company boycott for companies that advertise this way. Check out the link! http://www3.sympatico.ca/alwaysweb/mobile_billboards.html.

And that my friends, is why I am outraged.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WEll...I grew up in a small village as well.All i did was swim ride bikes. I like to dirtbike and snowmobile and hang out with friends and thats about it. But i dont get to have fun anymore because i work.But i like your blog!!

Anonymous said...

aperpatubcupe [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-zithromax-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Zithromax without no prescription online[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-prednisone-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Prednisone without no prescription online[/url]

mlm software said...

I agree with you guys. Their Custom designed marketing concepts are really effective for business. It brought my products and services to my target audience in a compelling delivery that communicates the benefits of ownership. And I am grateful for that. mlm software